Monday, April 5, 2010

Yes! I DO!!! (Again!)

I am not a jewelry kind of a gal. This isn't to say that D gets off scott-free from not "spoiling" me with beautiful luxuries since the luxuries that I prefer are far more extravagant since I prefer fine artwork. (Honestly though I'm way too practical of a person to bring myself to own any of the paintings that I'd really like!) Just the same, when I do wear jewelry, I'm very specific about its design and I don't like to take it off. This has posed as quite a problem with my wedding ring set though.

Way back when we got engaged and were planning our wedding and picking out all of those important details like what the rings would look like I was very upfront about it all and admitted that I wanted something unique and non-traditional. D and I designed my engagement ring together so that it was completely one of a kind and then (miracle of miracles!) we were blessed enough to find a ring to serve as a wedding band that was very complementary in design. As it turned out, I would have to wear each of the rings on separate hands (european style) and I was OK with that. Still? Our wonderfully unique and non-traditional idea has turned out to be not such a good idea in the long run.

Since I'm an art teacher and just generally a get-your-hands-dirty kind of a person I'm really hard on most any of the jewelry that I wear. You can just imagine how much of a beating my wedding set has taken by now after only a couple of years! Anyway, to make a long story even longer (but at least slightly shorter in the grand scheme of things), D and I made the decision to retire my original wedding set for something less delicate, more durable, and more (and less) traditional.

I found an artisan jeweler on Etsy.com and then D and I pored over pictures of what we liked and didn't like and then tweaked a design we found to our liking. The beautiful fruits of our labor was delivered to me just today and I'm happily wearing my first (EVER!) piece of custom-designed artisan jewelry. I only have two challenges now - 1) deciding if I should wear the center stone sandwiched...

... or perched on top of it all...


and 2) how I can now convince D that I NEED customized artisan jewelry WAY more often than fine art paintings (which is constantly now).

1 comment:

AshleyHami said...

Beautiful rings! I really like the first pic :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...