Monday, February 15, 2010

We survived the double-blizzard of 2010!

Well, kids, tomorrow it's back to work, school, and daycare for all of us! But after 11 straight days of being mostly home bound, I can honestly say that I'm not only ready to go back to work but really wanting to go back to work!

We got a total of about 26 inches of snow and this is more than I have ever seen in all of my life. Over ten years ago when this area was last hit by such crippling inclement weather, is was really more ice that was the problem than the snow! And I still think that we actually only had a whole week off from school and nothing more than that. But this snow storm? If you count President's day (which I do since everyone was talking about bringing us in then to start making up days) then we have two more full days outside of weekends even that kept everyone home. That is AH-MAY-ZING!!!!!!

Miss A has never seen so much snow in her life (but to be fair she isn't even two yet!) and I definitely was just as amazed at it...

Though she wasn't quite as dazzled by it as all of the rest of us, she did manage to at least touch it by her own volition.

And since everyone was gearing up for such a storm, we couldn't find a decent sled for her in a 30 mile radius so D attempted to make her one that didn't quite work out but it was a valiant attempt at least.


And while everyone else was racing outside to play in all of the white stuff, I happily stayed inside to do the thing that I love the most but never seem to have time to do - CROCHET!!!

I whipped up this hat in about an evening without a pattern by request of some of our PA relatives (namely Samantha and baby Alyssa) and Miss A is modeling it beautifully. It will be going out in the mail come this week when I'm no longer stuck in the house and the postal service is back on track and ready to go.
And then I think I just started getting silly and slap happy and got it in my mind to make a gnome for myself and it worked out pretty OK despite the fact that I (again!) had to do it without a pattern! I decided to name him Sherman before I was even done making him and upon finishing him Miss A promptly hijacked him from me and made him one of her growing fleet of "babies."



The snow has all but melted and it's looking like there's still a good 12" remaining on the ground that will probably disappear within the next week or so if we're lucky. Kind of bittersweet since them melting also means that all of the amazing icicles that we've marveled at will also be on their way out soon too. [Pics below of icicles were taken by D and not me!]




The above pic of the icicles is shown with D's keys held up to better illustrate just how large they were in comparison! Incredible!!!

A few days ago the weathermen started forecasting for us to be hit by another huge snow storm but it's looking like that's changing and we're going to see rain at most. *Hurrah!!* I never thought I would pray so much more for rain than snow. I guess the biggest lesson of all we've learned is "never say never."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...