Tuesday, February 2, 2010

She's a lover AND a flyer!

Guess what.

Miss A's viking hat is finally too small for her.

*sad face*

I'm normally not so attached to material things but making it was a true labor of love and then seeing Miss A wear it was something that has always made me laugh and say "Awwwww..." simultaneously.

Anyway, with the viking hat being too small, she needed a new winter hat. I looked at a few hat and glove sets at the store but nothing seemed to be anything that seemed like it fit the bill enough for me to plunk down money and buy. The thought occurred to me to make a hat but, well... I'm kind of not all that great at making things that ought to be worn. *shrug* I've had some success with it but I know my strengths and weaknesses enough to know that my ability doesn't very well extend itself to articles of clothing. But the thing is, I'm not one to give up on things easily. I'm always up for a challenge - especially ones that are seemingly impossible for me! So, I started blindly making what would eventually be a hat for Miss A.

The plans for the hat were definitely in the direction of something whimsical and I was going to take it into the shape of an animal. I used a chunky dark purple-ish yarn and D thought it would be cute as a bear hat but I was kind of thinking of something more like a kitty or a penguin. Still, no idea seemed good enough for me to carry it to completion.

Then I got an idea... How about a little aviator hat!!

The problem with aviator hats is they are commonly made to look too boyish for my taste. And, sadly, Miss A sometimes gets mistaken for a boy and I'm not trying to encourage that to happen anymore than it needs to. So I got to thinking. What could I do to make a girlish aviator hat?

Here's what I was able to come up with...





The fact that Valentine's day is right around the corner is completely coincidental with the fact that I chose to make the goggles heart-shaped. I was really just looking to take what might be expected and twist it in a girlish way. The goggles themselves are sewn to the top of the hat in classic aviator hat style but I think they still help add to the overall affect in a good way. I mean, just look at Miss A and that sweet face! Does that not break your heart or what? (She was just waking up in the morning and I sort of forced her to wear the hat because I was so excited about it. I know. I'm such a meanie!)


And then, if it could even get any better - IT DID!!!

While Miss A was wearing the hat she became very inspired to climb onto her rocking plane that she got last year for her birthday!!! Talk about channeling her inner Amelia! This girl is just made to soar into the wild blue yonder, don'tcha think?


I have plans to lengthen it just a little bit to frame her face a little better but she wore it tonight on her way home from daycare in the car and she seems to be taking to it just fine. It's a tad tight at the top (around the crown) but even if I have to make a new one, I'm thinking that it would be worth it and then I could just sell this first one that I made. We'll see how it can be worked out.

1 comment:

mrs shortcake said...

O-oh! Cute! I love the heart shaped goggles - she really is rocking that hat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...