Because we're all officially on summer vacation time, our schedule is... well.... null and void? We (kind of) have no schedule. *shrug* It happens. This isn't to say we aren't doing much. As I've already stated too many times to count, we are doing plenty! And on top of that, we are constantly leaving the door wide open for whatever else we might want to do that tickles our fancies.
Today after Miss A's violin lesson it took us for-ev-er to get home! We did get a lot accomplished though. Still? Her nap time is usually about 1-ish in the afternoon and we didn't get home and settled until after 3:30. I guess we could have held Miss A off for her nap? But we knew she would be probably more grumpy than necessary so we urged her to rest herself a little bit. She played quietly in her room on her bed and eventually fell asleep and didn't wake up until probably 6-ish. Hmmmm... not good? *shrug* Yeah. Especially considering the fact that her regular bedtime is about 8:30-9-ish at the latest. Eh. Whatev.
D had a meeting tonight and so it was just me and Miss A passing the time for the most part. We played with her little people set and I made her dinner to eat while she caught up on some On-demand episodes of Caillou. By the time all was said and done it was 10pm - WHOA! I gave her the appropriate warnings for bedtime and she expressed resistance but then she looked up at me with her big brown eyes and said, "Can I sleep in your bed, Mama?"
*shakes head*
I can't say no to something like that. This is partly because, well, who couldn't say no to something like THAT, and also, I remember being little like her and loving the rare occasions when I got to do things like fall asleep in my parents' big bed and burrowing my face in their pillows. It was always a very comforting and reassuring experience for me when I was little and I have always suspected it's like this for most all little kids. And for this reason? She's never banned from such an opportunity. Her night terrors in the past months have always been best managed by letting her crawl into the big bed and she always falls immediately back to asleep. As far as I'm concerned? It's a small thing to have to carry her back to her own room in the middle of the night. The hours that I might lose are nothing compared to what are now her most formative years.
So, to make a long story even longer, I agreed that she could at least fall asleep in our big bed. And here is a transcription of the experience...
[We are finally in our pajamas and crawling into bed]
Me: Now, Miss A. We are going to say our prayers and then go to sleep! We are going to lay our heads down and close our eyes and go to sleep, OK?
Miss A: Can I have my bear?
Me: *sigh* Your blue bear? Yes. Do you want your bunny too?
Miss A: No. Just my bear please.
Me: OK. You stay here. I will get it.
[I leave and locate the bear and notice that D has come home. Miss A hears this fact and all bets are off again.]
Miss A: I need to come say good-night to Papa! I need to give him hugs and loves!
[Miss A gets out of bed and runs to find him. The usual exchange of good-night and "I love you" ensues. D reminds Miss A that it is late and she needs to go back to bed. Miss A scurries back off to bed.]
Miss A: I'm sleeping in Mama's bed, Papa! I'm sleeping in Mama's room!
D: Good-night, Miss A!
[I return to bed and give Miss A her bear.]
Me: Now. Miss A. Remember? We are going to sleep! We are going to put our heads down on the pillow and close our eyes and not talk. We are going to be calm and quiet. We are going to go to sleep.
Miss A: OK, Mama.
[We say prayers together. The lights are turned off. Miss A sits up. D comes in, crawls into bed and almost immediately falls asleep.]
Miss A: Papa is here, Mama.
Me: I know. Go to sleep. Put your head down. Quiet your voice. It's time to go to sleep.
Miss A: It's nigh-night time.
Me: Yes. Good night. Remember - if you don't go to sleep you will have to go back to your room, OK? Do you understand?
Miss A: Yes, Mama. I understand.
[Miss A lays down and I close my eyes. All of a sudden I feel her right in my face. She is blinking her eyes on my face and rubbing her nose on me.]
Me: Miss A, it's time to sleep now.
Miss A: Mama. I need butterfly kisses. Can I do noses?
Me: OK.
[We do noses. We do butterfly kisses. It is quiet again.]
Miss A: Mama. Papa is moving around. Papa? Will you please stop moving around?
Me: Papa can move around. He is just getting comfortable. It's OK.
[It's quiet again. There is a noise of some sort outside. Maybe a bug fluttering at the window.]
Miss A: Mama! What was that noise? Did you hear that noise?
Me: It was nothing. Go to sleep. If you don't quiet down you will have to go to your bed. Do you want to go to your bed?
Miss A: No, Mama.
Me: OK. Good night.
[It's quiet again. The dog is out for the count but he rolls over and makes a loud groan as he is wont to do.]
Miss A: Don't worry, Mama! That's just the dog. Don't worry, Mama.
Me: I know. Miss A, shhhhh...
[It's quiet again. Miss A is laying still. All of a sudden she pops her head up.]
Miss A: Mama? can I go in my bed now?
Like I said. I could lose hours of sleep! And it will always be worth it to me to be able to do this for her. ALWAYS.
No comments:
Post a Comment