
She was in her mid-80s and was quite the little pistol of a lady. She always had the best and most entertaining stories and she rarely to never used her oven and would keep pots and pans or boxes of cereal in it instead.
When I was little and would go out to eat with her, she never fussed at me for wanting to eat only side dishes for my meal - green beans, mashed potatoes (NO gravy!), and applesauce. She also got me the nicest dolls every year for Christmas that always ended up being my favorites and then when I was older, she got me purses that I always loved and would give me matching wallets with a dollar already in them for "luck."
Once I was old enough to be out of the house and off on my own, I would visit her and spend afternoons with her chit-chatting about life and memories and we would always end up in her guest bedroom turned storage room where she would try to load me down with polyester jacket and pants suits that I "could wear to work." One time she gave me a pack of underwear that she happened to have extra and that she swore up and down would be the most comfortable underwear I would ever own.
She always appreciated getting new slippers for Christmas - favoring the Dearfoam or Isotoner brands most - and once I got her this sculptured flower out of the most delicate ceramic that I have ever seen and when she opened up she said, "Id'nt that PUR-tay!" the way she always did when she really liked something a lot!
She was a really great lady. I took as many of my friends to meet her as I could and always tried to stop by to see her if I were in town or make as many special trips just to see her as I could. There is no disputing how popular she was with people who made her acquaintance proving how much of a character she was!
Meemie was such a neat lady. She absolutely was. There really was absolutely no one like her.
No comments:
Post a Comment